Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Spider and the Fly


Today my kids found a spider. It was black and white and completely harmless. The poor guy was stuck inside Mrs. Priss’ hood to her power wheels. We opened the lid to move the battery from one toy to the other. (Yes I know I am the worst mother for not having two batteries. I have been told this already!)
I yell “SPIDER” and the three girls scrambled. My son turned with plastic sword in hand and went into his best defender mode. “Mom!” he yelled, “I save you”. Plastic sword in hand he went swinging at the grass in a failed attempt to kill the thing that scared me.
I laughed I couldn’t help it. Leave it to the boy to be the fearless one. While his mother, teenage sister, and 5 yr old sister run for the hills. “Just leave it alone,” I told the brave boy. Ever since he could walk I would playfully raise my voice and proclaim “Little man save me.” While Daddy would tickle me. As he grew I taught him not to hit girls, that girls were to be hugged and kissed, and that he was the “man” when daddy wasn’t home.
Now at almost 3 he shows me what I instilled “I save you girls” he recites to me. I look over at my teenage daughter who I have taught to be independent and not rely on a man. I sigh to myself and she shakes her head. “We could take it to the zoo," my daughter proposed distracting me from my guilt.
I pat her on the head. “I am sure it’s gone sweetie,” I say. “I know someone who once ate a spider,” says the teenager as she walks into the house in disgust. The younger ones eyes widen and Pandora’s box has been opened. I thanked the girl for her knowledge and pushed my children toward the inside with bribery, “Let’s have ice cream.” They run inside and I sigh with relief for avoid yet another disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment